Salt Lake City, UT — (ReleaseWire) — 05/01/2022 — Collagen drinks and powders have become a common dietary supplement found in most grocery and big box stores. With all the anti-aging hype surrounding collagen, are collagen supplements important to include in a healthy diet?
“Research is unclear if the benefits some people have from collagen protein comes from collagen itself, or from consuming more protein in general,” said Sara Mathews, a registered dietitian nutritionist at Intermountain McKay-Dee Hospital.
Here are a few points to help people decide whether collagen supplements are right for them:
– Like all proteins consumed, collagen is broken down in the digestive system to be used wherever the body most needs protein. This means that collagen cannot be absorbed whole. Instead, it is absorbed as the smallest components of protein.
– Most research on collagen has been conducted using industry funding, which means there is a potential for bias in the study results.
– Preventing collagen breakdown in the body may be a more effective strategy to prevent skin aging and support joint health. Mathews encourages people to choose healthy lifestyle and diet habits such as:
– Getting enough sleep.
– Avoiding high sugar intake, which can damage existing collagen.
– Eating a healthy diet including vitamin C and sulfur-containing foods (citrus, strawberries, broccoli, onions) to aid in collagen production in the body.
“Overall, as careful consumers, people should be wary of the claims surrounding collagen supplements and focus more on whole food, quality protein sources as well as other beneficial whole foods to limit the negative effects of aging,” Mathews said.
More information can be found at Intermountainhealthcare.org.
About Intermountain Healthcare
Based in Utah with locations in seven states and additional operations across the western U.S., Intermountain Healthcare is a nonprofit system of 33 hospitals, 385 clinics, medical groups with some 3,800 employed physicians and advanced practice providers, a health plans division with more than one million members called SelectHealth, and other health services. Helping people live the healthiest lives possible, Intermountain is committed to improving community health and is widely recognized as a leader in transforming healthcare by using evidence-based best practices to consistently deliver high-quality outcomes at sustainable costs. For more information, see Intermountain Healthcare or the Intermountain Healthcare Blog.
For more information on this press release visit: http://www.releasewire.com/press-releases/are-collagen-supplements-beneficial-to-a-healthy-diet-1356552.htm
Media Relations Contact
Email: Click to Email Jennifer